Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, July 18, 2008

The tale of the Toyota

I will warn you that it this story has not ended yet and the drama increased yesterday! Who needs a soap opera when you have JM and his car? LOL

JM had been car shopping for a long time. He really wanted a Toyota Camry or something like it as he had heard they are good cars. JB and I went to check out a car at this car lot. We drove it and said No way! They also had a Camry there. It needed a new strut or something but they would fix that. Cool. We took it on a test drive. It drove great. It looked great! We thought this will be a great car! It was $3995 plus tax and title. Well JM only had $3200. We told them that and said well, maybe when he gets the rest if it is here, he can get it. We will see. Well the owner of the lot said "I'll take it! $3200 out the door!" Cool! We brought JM by to see it. He drove it. LOVED it! He wrote them a check and we left. The car stayed there because they were going to fix the strut. Oh! I also asked about e-check. (good thing) They put in writing if it didn't pass, they would fix it for free! So we get the car back a few days later. We get the car back and JM is excited! He takes it to get e-checked... it fails! NO WAY! UGH! Glad I got it in writing. Call Bobby, the guy that sold us the car, and tell him. He was shocked. Tells us he will get with the mechanic and call back to let us know when to drop it off. I don't hear from him the rest of the day and the next. I call him back and leave a message. He calls me back, gives me the mechanic's number in Hartville (boondocks of Hartville). Take it to him on Thursday, he calls back and says he knows the problem but the part won't be here until Monday. We can pick the car up and bring it back Monday. You can drive it, it won't hurt it. Cool!

Monday morning we drop it off. He has it fixed we get it back. Still won't pass e-check. I call Bobby the next day. Shocked again!! He said to call the mechanic and make an appointment. I did. He calls the car lot owner to tell him what he thinks the problem is and what not to make sure he does what the car lot guy wants him to. After all, they are paying for it. Yeah well... I don't care of the cost just fix it. (I have it in writing!!!) So he tells me he is going to do this flushing thing through the car and clean up the stuff. If that doesn't work the catalytic converter will have to be changed. Okay! Well, we dropped off the car again. They do this flushing. JB is driving the car home and black stuff is coming out of the tailpipe. That is good because the junk is coming out. Oh, the mechanic said to drive it until the gas it about out to get the gook out of it. Okay!

JB gets it home, there isn't any oil in the thing! What?? So we add oil. JM get up and is on his way to work. He is going down route 8 at 55 mph and the thing stalls on him!!! UGH! This is the day after we got the car back. JM is furious. It won't start, he is on the highway, and going to be late for work. He throws his keys on the dashboard and cracks the windshield! (I am not making this up!!) It is so cracked it has to be fixed. Anyway, I meet him on Rte. 8 and call AAA. They tow it home. While waiting for them, it did restart, but we didn't try to drive it home or anything. JB thought maybe it had an oil leak and all the oil came out. It didn't. It had oil. Basically the car is in worse shape than when we got it and we haven't even driven it maybe a 1000 miles if that.

The car did come with a 3 month, 3000 mile warranty. JB has called the place twice. One he left a message, once he talked to Bobby. Bobby was to get back with him and as far as I know he hasn't. JB is getting irritated. JB doesn't get mad easily. He is a very calm person. This is starting to get him mad. Poor Bobby if JB blows! LOL

The drama from yesterday about the car... The 30 day tags were expiring yesterday. I took the failed e-check forms and the bill of sale for the car and go to get another 30 day tag. I still don't have the title to the car! It is been over a month! So the lady at the DMV calls to verify the VIN number. There is a problem. It isn't in my name or the car lots name. WHAT??? So the manager calls Bobby and he doesn't answer. Leaves a message. Great, now what do I do! She tells the girl to go ahead and give me the tag and gives me this form to fill out just in case I don't get the title again. It is like a complaint for to the DMV about the dealer. While I am still at the DMV Bobby calls. She tells them I am there and that I don't have a title. She said "You are going to get this rolling right!" He apologized and said he dropped the ball on it and was trying to "verify" me I guess. She said well anytime we have this happen we have to call and verify the vin #. He said "Oh it is in my name." She said, "NO! It is in a girl's name." Bobby then says, "Oh I mean my wife's name." NOT!!!!! How do I know this you may ask... If the name was Rueben instead of Robin, I would say yes. Another words... my husband would be more his type than I would.

So now, we have to wait a few days and we should have the title. I think she scared him pretty good as far as that goes. We still have to find out what they are going to do. We cannot drive the car far for worry of making it worse. If we go to their mechanic (who doesn't have a clue it seems) it will have to be towed there.

I feel so bad for JM. He saved up his money to buy this car and this happens. He is learning a lesson in life but I feel for the kid! Meanwhile I am usually without a car because he has to take one of ours. JB doesn't want to drive the truck much because it is a gas hog.

Now if you have read all this I am surprised. It is a long one but it is true. I am not kidding! Oh yes, JM did get the windshield fixed. That was about $200 to fix it. I will let you know what happens with the rest.

'Til next time...

3 comments:

Amy Fichtner said...

I am so sorry to hear about the car:( I am also curious to see how this plays out. It might be worth it to take it to your own machanic and get his opioion. I hope it all works out for you. And i know what it's like not having a car, Jim takes ours every day and I am always dependign on someone else to help me

NLT said...

How horrible! Poor JM! What a con artist! I'm getting mad for you guys just reading it! Don't worry about how long it is, I know I've had some pretty long ones, some stories just take longer to tell! If you have it in writing (which was very smart of you! Now i know when i go to make sure I ask about that!) does it say that you have to use his mechanic? I would have picked my own from the beginning,. gas is too expensive to go out to hartville that many times! lol Hope it all works out! Keep us posted! Tell JM I fee for him! Poor guy!

NO TURNING BACK-the life of a very blonde Baptist said...

hey that's too bad, I love Toyota's even have one of my own, it's got over three -hundred thousand miles on it but............guess you never can really tell-but now you know all of the right questions to ask :))
hope it all goes better
Pudu Girl